Unsworths of culcheth

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Unsworths of culcheth

Postby razo247 » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Hi, wondered if anyone could help me find some information about the Unsworth blacksmiths of culcheth. Someone mentioned Billy Bangers, does anyone know if he was an Unsworth or what his real name was and anything about his family etc. My mum seems to think he had a son called Ged or something who either is living or was up until recent years. I have been researching my family tree and am related to Unsworths but think it may be a different family however a friend in Australia is related to The Unsworths who ran the Farmers Arms beer house that used to be across from the Harrow and who were also the local blacksmiths. Also any information about the Warbuton Family, Ann warbuton married one of the Unsworths back in 1800s, parents were Peter and Grace, siblings Ellen and Joseph all born in Culcheth. Thanks any information is gratefully appreciated.
razo247

Postby Marge » Mon Dec 03, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi

There is an interesting (but now a bit old) thread on a geneology site, see link below, which deals with the Unsworth family of culcheth and references a number of census entries. You may find something useful in there.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/LA ... 1138411628
:lol:

The same person has another thread which appears to have some of the same names that you mention.

http://archiver.rootsweb.com/th/read/un ... 1179359960

Good Luck!
Marge

Postby Homer » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:05 pm

Then again you could always try buying this off eBay but you will have to be quick....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=009
''The language and concepts contained herein are guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the place where the guy with the horns and pointed stick conducts his business.''
Homer

Postby Marge » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:12 pm

Erm Homer - before offering this up to all and sundry, this would be a nice addition to my Christmas box being a) of local interest and b) of interest to ME!!! Stop posting from the office and get me a glass of wine :wink:
Marge

Postby solobirch » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:40 pm

This is probably a bit stale now. OP was back in December and has only posted once. But just in case there is any general interest

In 1963 a stone trough was rediscovered between the public library and the public toilets (now demolished) across the road from the Harrow Inn. At the time an old lady "Mrs Unsworth" who was the mother of the Villages last Blacksmith said it was used for iron quenching. The Enclosure award map (1749/51) shows a plot of land (No 11) in the position where the trough was found and the plot recorded as being in the occupation of "John Unsworth, Blacksmith". It appears the Unsworths were blacksmiths for a considerable time. The trough was recovered and fitted with a plaque and set in the curtilage of the public library. I do not know where it is now but I do remember it being planted with daffodils when I was a child.

[color=blue]Information sourced from "A History of Culcheth" Winterburn 1972[/color]
solobirch

Postby Local lass » Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Gerry Unsworth still lives in the village.
Local lass

Postby Lioness » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:41 pm

The trough is near the entrance to the library, and is beautifully planted with flowers.
Lioness

Postby solobirch » Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 pm

Lioness wrote:The trough is near the entrance to the library, and is beautifully planted with flowers.

That is really good to hear. I must admit I have not had a stroll round the library area for a few years now. It seems that Mr Winterburn has left a lasting legacy when he had the trough recovered and re-sited.
solobirch

Postby Clearwater » Sun Mar 09, 2008 5:07 pm

There are still a lot of UNSWORTHS in the village - these are probably related!
Clearwater

Re: Unsworths of culcheth

Postby thistlebay » Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi

I am also searching for info on a Unsworth family, my ancestors.

My 3 x g grandfather John Unsworth was born in Culcheth around 1795 - 1880, married a lady named Mary Oddy in 1825 in St Oswalds Church Winwick. Mary was born in Leigh in 1801. On the 1851 cns, one of their 6 children, James Unsworth, was staying at his Uncle Thomas' house stated on the cns as 10 Great 'House, Stone, Hall' not sure of this second word on cns, in Township of Culcheth. James was named as nephew occ. agri labourer. Uncle Thomas stated as being age 63 and unmarried and Farrier (blacksmith?) of 11 acres born in Culcheth. James was born in Fearnhead which is came under umbrella of Warrington. There was also a family who lived in the next house along on the cns, these were William Unsworth and his wife Elizabeth, he was a gamekeeper.

I have searched for John Unsworth's family without success, but have found 2 families who may have been connected to him, (if I am to believe he named a few of his children after his own family).

I have found a Thomae Unsworth and Marthae Grimshaw in Culcheth who had children as follows:
Martha b 10/8/1803 bap 14/8/03 at Culcheth RC
Elizabetha b 7/2/1793 bap 10/2/93 " "
Joanna b16/6/1791 bap 18/6/91 " "
Maria b 2/8/1800 bap 3/8/1800 " "
Joannes b 27/1/1795 bap 27/1/95 " " (variation of John)
Margarita b 22/2/1797 bap 24/2/97 " " (variation of Margaret)
Gulielmus b 31/12/1808 bap 1/1/09 " " (variation of William)
Jacobus b 6/3/1806 bap 9/3/06 " " (variation of James)

There was also another family in Culcheth:
Joannis and Helenae jenkinson
Chidlren as follows:
Thomas b 10/6/1799 bap 16/6/99 " "
Joanna b 20/2//1810 bap 252/10 " "
Maria b 19/2/1807 bap 22/2/07 " "
Thomas 10/6/1799 bap 16/6/99 " "
Joannes b 3/3/1804 bap 4/3/04 " "
Richardus b 13/4/1802 bap 18/4/02 " "
Helena b 9/10/1812 bap 11/10/12 " "

Now John and Mary's children were named
Martha, James, Margaret, Thomas, Ann and Ellen (in that order)
which leads me to the conclusion that he belonged to either one of the above families.

I have tried to find out more about the RC church all the above 2 families were baptised at without success, but I recall someone telling me that this church was burnt down and therefore all records lost.

Then there is the question of the names used in these families above, they sound very Weslayan or that ilk. Was there another religious group of that area of that time? but then why go to the RC church??

If anyone can give any help at all, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks
Catherine
thistlebay

Postby Norscot » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:07 am

Hi , Catherine, Idont know if it is of any interest to you but there is a property called "Great Stone" it has a few acres of land and is situated between Holcroft Lane and the Mee Brow estate. The propery is owned by a former local farmer named Mr William Grimshaw, he could be a useful link in your search,
Regards Norscot
Norscot

Postby mrgeoff » Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm

Hi, my grandfather was the village Blacksmith in Culcheth he was known as Old Nail. He had four sons, William, Sydney, John, & Gerald my father. All are now dead. My father left the village when he got married to Evelin from Leigh and lived in Astley. I remember he would travel to Culcheth at weekends to work in the Smithy. I also went on many occasions and watched them make shoes for the Farm and Co-op horses. William my uncle eventually was ill, and was unable to work, and so the Smithy was sold, and is now a Garage, Smithy Garage. Hope this helps. Geoffrey Unsworth.
mrgeoff

Postby hopey » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:23 pm

Hi Geoffry I went to school with Gerald Unsworth "Ged" at that time his father was the Blacksmith at the Smithy in Church Lane. I think we used to call him Jerry.
hopey

Postby barney2 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:13 pm

hopey wrote:Hi Geoffry I went to school with Gerald Unsworth "Ged" at that time his father was the Blacksmith at the Smithy in Church Lane. I think we used to call him Jerry.

Heard that Gerry Unsworth has died recently.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby hopey » Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks Mrs Barney, I am sorry to hear about Gerry@s death, I had hoped to meet up with him again to talk about old times.
hopey

Postby hju31 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:44 am

Hi there I post to this as I am a great Grandchild of the Unsworth's who ran the blacksmiths in Culceth. It been a few years since I visited the area, but the last time I was there the anvil my great grandad used was outside the library.
My grandad was the gerry you mentioned name of Gerald Unsworth, who used to be a boxer and trained in the room at the local village pub. Unfortunately he passed away a few years ago. He does have three living sons Derek Unsworth, Geoffrey Unsworth and Colin Unsworth.
I have a few stories my grandad told me about the black smiths growing up.
hju31

Return to Memory Lane