New Years Day football

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

New Years Day football

Postby mujac » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:18 pm

I was interested to read that Man United boss, van Gaal, had given the players Xmas Day off from practice and it triggered a memory from the "40's. We players from Culcheth United used to challenge the "old farts" to a game on New Years Day. Their team consisted of dads and older brothers and friends, none of whom played more than that 1 game a year and it followed the usual New Years eve celebrations! I remember my dad, Norman Sutton, George Howard and Fred Ashton playing and we were always very surprised how good they still were. Or, maybe, it was that we weren't as good as we thought we were!
I was wondering if anyone else remembers this annual event. I'm sure Beechboy, with his photographic memory, will!
mujac

Re: New Years Day football

Postby Beechboy » Mon Jan 12, 2015 2:43 pm

Glad Mujac as come out of hibernation,I certainly do remember those New year matches and i must agree with him some of the old Dads and most of the others could show us a thing or two,Mujacs Dad ( Norman Sutton ) could have made it as a pro footballer with Tranmere Rovers if wanted but chose golf instead,we had a great time and it surprised us the how many came to watch,I have many memories of those games but it's the most painful one I remember most I got a kick in the most painful place you could get one and the cure in those days was an ice cold sponge ,happy days .
Good to back on the Culcheth Net and a happy new year to everyone .
Beechboy

Return to Memory Lane