Hob Hey Farm

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Hob Hey Farm

Postby Farmerbanjo » Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:43 pm

Hi all, have just registered after coming across a post from Southworthdt5 who must be a distant relative of mine ( maybe I already know of you !)

I occasionally keep searching the internet to update my family tree and came across the marriage of my Grandmother Kathleen Helena Drummond to Bertram Bennett on the 26/03/1932 at the Parish Church, Newchurch in Culcheth. Her address was given as Hob Hey Farm, her father ( my Great Grandfather ) was James Drummond who I know was a seedsman.

James died in 1961 aged 83 and is buried in Antrobus Churchyard

Can anyone tell me anything about Hob Hey Farm ?? Is it still there ? If so I may take a drive out to it, I am only about 10 miles away

Thanks for any info
Farmerbanjo

Re: Hob Hey Farm

Postby barney2 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:05 am

Farmerbanjo wrote:Hi all, have just registered after coming across a post from Southworthdt5 who must be a distant relative of mine ( maybe I already know of you !)

I occasionally keep searching the internet to update my family tree and came across the marriage of my Grandmother Kathleen Helena Drummond to Bertram Bennett on the 26/03/1932 at the Parish Church, Newchurch in Culcheth. Her address was given as Hob Hey Farm, her father ( my Great Grandfather ) was James Drummond who I know was a seedsman.

James died in 1961 aged 83 and is buried in Antrobus Churchyard

Can anyone tell me anything about Hob Hey Farm ?? Is it still there ? If so I may take a drive out to it, I am only about 10 miles away

Thanks for any info

Hob Hey Farm is still there and is a family home.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Lioness » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:34 pm

Where is it exactly?
Live well, Love much, Laugh often
Lioness

Postby raven » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:06 pm

There was a thread that mentioned it a couple of years ago, I seem to remember that Hob Hey Farm is now Claremont Road.
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Postby Local lass » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:37 am

Hi farmerbanjo, I remember a family of Drummonds who lived in Hob Hey Lane back in the fifties/sixties, my sister used to be friends with Margret? Drummond.
Local lass

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:00 pm

I didn't realise that the farm was still there, I thought that it had been swallowed up when Claremont Road was developed.
For the benefit of farmerbanjo, Kathleen Drummond was one of my mother's (Margaret Elinor McLeod Drummond) two sisters so was therefore my Aunt and I remember many happy visits to Peel Hall Farm at Antrobus where she lived with Uncle Bert and their son Gordon and daughter, the late Dorothy.
southworthdt5

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:12 pm

Hi Local lass,
I suspect that the Margaret Drummond you recall was one of the two daughters of Colin Drummond who was a brother of Kathleeen Drummond and my late Mother who was also Margaret. Colin Drummond married Doris Lythgoe who lived in Wigshaw Lane just up from The Bricklayers Arms ( now the Cherry Tree ). They had another daughter Anne who is sadly no longer with us. The Margaret that you mention lived near Chester at one time and has twin boys one of whom was the world champion motocycle sidecar rider.
Margaret has been living in Portugal for some years now. The world gets smaller !
southworthdt5

Postby Farmerbanjo » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:38 pm

Hi southworthdt5
I know who you are now, I have probably only met you a couple of times, the last being Dollys 100th birthday down in Dorchester a few years back. I am Tony, Gordon & Jean's son. My dad did not know his mother Kath lived at Hob Hey Farm and I was trying to establish whether it was still there ( it apparently is but is now a family home as opposed to a working farm) Regards Tony
Farmerbanjo

Postby Janet H » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:47 pm

There was a row of cottages quite near the top of Hob Hey Lane with small gardens in front.
I hope they are still there.
If I am right ,Anne Drummond( I think she had lovely long auburn hair which she wore in plaits and would have been born about 1941 ) lived there.
I am sorry to hear that she has died.
Janet H

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi Janet.
Yes, my cousins Anne and Margaret Drummond did live in the cottages that you mentioned. The family later (? 1960's) moved to Saughall near Chester . The late Anne did indeed have lovely hair. I think I last saw her at our wedding in 1958. She was a lovely girl.
southworthdt5

Postby southworthdt5 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:05 am

Margaret Brummond (later,Biggs) 001.jpg
Hi Janet H and Local lass,
I've just found a photo of Margaret Drummond. I was looking for one of Margaret and my late sister Carol in Highland costume when they were learing Scottish dancing. Their teacher was a Sister McNicholl from the Cottage Homes. Perhaps I will come accross it one day when I am looking for something else.
southworthdt5

Postby Janet H » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Hello Southworth,
I sent you a PM yesterday .
Did you pick it up ?
Janet.
Janet H

Postby southworthdt5 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:39 pm

To Janet H,
Yes I did get your PM yesterday and I thought that I had replied to it. I think that I have replied again today but just in case it has got lost I will double up on here.
I will look out for the confirmation photo from Local lass. ..The photos of classes at Culcheth school are very good but hvae very few names.
I will try and post an old pic taken at the front of 60,Wigshaw about 1941. The privet hedge to the left of the gate (where the drive is today) was complete then and the metal gate is still there before, like many other gates and railings it was taken for scrap metal to help the war effort. The characters in the photo are me and my Dad.
Attachments
Wilf and Malc at Grove House c.1941 001.jpg
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 pm

southworthdt5 wrote:To Janet H,
Yes I did get your PM yesterday and I thought that I had replied to it. I think that I have replied again today but just in case it has got lost I will double up on here.
I will look out for the confirmation photo from Local lass. ..The photos of classes at Culcheth school are very good but hvae very few names.
I will try and post an old pic taken at the front of 60,Wigshaw about 1941. The privet hedge to the left of the gate (where the drive is today) was complete then and the metal gate is still there before, like many other gates and railings it was taken for scrap metal to help the war effort. The characters in the photo are me and my Dad.

I received the photo's this morning, I just have to scan them and hope I can upload them on here.

Thank you Janet for sending them to me, fingers crossed I can post them on here. :)
Local lass

Postby Local lass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:41 pm

Hi Southworth5, Thanks for posting the photo of Margaret Drummond, I remember her now.
Local lass

Postby Local lass » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:48 pm

img087.jpg
Hi Southworth5 I am going to attempt to post the photo which Janet sent to me. It worked! :D
Local lass

Postby Janet H » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:37 am

Well done,Local lass.
Janet H

Postby Beechboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:20 pm

Back in circulation after all BT lines were blown down with the gales we have had and are still having ,Local lass mentioned some school photo's in the forties ,would love to see some,but to be honest I can't recall many being taken as in the early forties a lot of cameras and films were not available and in some cases barred because of the war,but I hope I am wrong .
Talking of Hob Hey Farm does anyone remember a lad named Reg Warburton that lived in the lane ? he had a younger sister I think her name was Kath but not sure ,he lived in a cottage that was about 2 hundred yards up the lane from the Common Lane junction (Bricklayers Arms),I believe is Dad was in the RAF at Padgate ,he was a very good footballer and played on our youth team along with myself and mujac ,I know his name as been mentioned before in other mail but with the subject being Hob Hey Farm I thought it might jog a memory or two.
Great to be back with you all again and a very belated Happy New Year.
Beechboy

Postby southworthdt5 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Local lass,
Thanks for the confirmation photo. Do you have their names ?
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:57 pm

southworthdt5 wrote:Hi Local lass,
Thanks for the confirmation photo. Do you have their names ?

Sorry southworthd5 I didn't make a note of the names and I've returned the photos' to Janet, I've asked her to put the names to them for you.
Local lass

Next

Return to Memory Lane