Culcheth in the 40s and 50s

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Culcheth in the 40s and 50s

Postby Janet H » Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:02 pm

John B',referring to your post from last February about Little London,I now realise what you meant about the Jermyn flats.
We lived in Farringdon which we called "F" block.
Each block started with a different letter of the alphabet and I think there were about 12 blocks .
Most of them consisted of six homes although Farringdon (near to the boiler house) only had two.
I never heard them referred to as "flats".
I believe they were named after areas of London so C block was Cornhill,D block Drayton,E block Eastcheap etc.
There was a tennis court near to J or K blocks.
Janet H

Postby Sue BL » Mon May 04, 2015 7:13 am

My Mum grew up in Culcheth and my Nan still lived there, on the flat tops at Beaverbrook Avenue until the 1970's. We were living in Astley and used to get two buses to to and see her, changing at Butts Bridge. I remember buying ice cream from Bob Royle. In the days when people didn't have to walk for exercise we used to get the bus into Culcheth Village. When I drive through now and past the flat tops it's like going back in time, as they look the same, apart from the cars outside houses. The shop and the park don't look any different.
Sue BL

Postby Janet H » Tue May 05, 2015 10:15 am

The things I noticed when I went to have a look at the house I lived in in Churchill Avenue from 1946 until 1951 were that the roads seemed narrower than I remembered,my old home was not now a "flat top" and there are more trees around on the estate.
Of course there are now parked cars .
We used to play in the road.
There was a green patch of land at the top of Chuchill Avenue on which there was a bonfire on 5th November.
We put potatoes in the bottom when it was dying down so that we could have jacket potatoes but there was no butter.
I cannot remember that area being used much for the rest of the year.
Is it still there?
Janet H

Postby bebren25 » Wed May 13, 2015 5:26 pm

Well I have read through the various postings and can remember some of the things said. I was very young when we lived there in the Station House as my father was the Station Master at the time. Some people my remember him his name was Mr Guy Petty Brown. The period I am thinking of would be the late forties early fifties. I can remember attending the local Infants school, as the only way I could get to it was by the bus. As I was in plasters with my legs and feet my mother had the problem of seeing me to the school. But something which would not happen today was that a lady who used the same bus would look after me both on the bus and to the school entrance. This would also happen on the return home. If that same lady was live today she would be about 85 years old now and I would like to thank her for being so kind and helpful. And better still I would like to know who that was. As I say we lived in the Station House and us three children used to play with the Pendlebury's who lived just up the road from us in the fields behind their house. The buildings across the road from our house was at that time the teachers training college as they would call it today. I do remember one Christmas that all the children in the village were invited to a show they put on and I came away with an elephant doll, I can still see it in my minds eye.
When I was there last about two years ago I was trying to find the old station and asked at a local shop. I was told that out the back of the shop was someone who knew the history of Culcheth. Well it seems he didn't know that there had been a railway there at any time. But yes I did find it and no I should not have tried. I know time goes on but what I found was nothing like I remembered. Still there you go.
bebren25

Postby southworthdt5 » Thu May 14, 2015 8:06 pm

The station master that I remember in the mid 40's was Mr Makness (not sure about the spelling ) who had a son Neil. Mr Macness was an amateur carpenter who helped my Dad to cut the back off a prewar Jowett car and make it into a pick up truck. They also made a trailer for it. The brakes would hardly stop the car on its own but with a trailer added well.....!
southworthdt5

Postby bebren25 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:51 pm

That must have been the people just before us. :)
bebren25

Postby bebren25 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:56 pm

If I'm correct I was born in 1944 and the family moved to Culcheth Station House just after I got out of hospital. At three weeks old I was taken to Biddulph Grange which was a hospital at that time for children.
bebren25

Postby Beechboy » Wed May 20, 2015 2:22 pm

I was a regular user of Culcheth station when I left school in June 1946,fourteen years old,i had to travel to Manchester Central Station every day including Saturday morning as i was starting my apprenticeship as tool maker,I must be honest I can't say I remember any of the station staff,it could be because I was always on the last minute,I did this for eighteen months then found it much better to go from Kenyon or Glazebury station but a little further for me ride my bicycle but it was worth it as it was a much quicker journey.
It use to be a joke with the young lads in the village one half would call the Culcheth Station line Late Never EaRly (LNER) and the Kenyon Station line Let Me Stop Let Me Sleep (LMS),happy days.
Beechboy

Postby bebren25 » Wed May 20, 2015 4:50 pm

I would agree that they were much different times. Some for the better and some for the worse. I don't think many people in those days had very much spare cash. But you were able to go out to play in safety and everyone knew everyone. In short a very pleasant place to live. I do recall that my sister and brother didn't want to leave Culceth,
bebren25

Postby octadave » Sun Jul 19, 2015 9:54 am

Re Cucheth in the 40’s & 50’s
I recently came across this site probably more than “halfway through the film”. Our family moved to 1 Jermyn, Little London, in 1950 (I was aged 6) when our father moved from NPL Teddington to the Atomic Energy Commission at Culcheth. We later moved north to East Kilbride in 1955 when he moved to the MERL located there.
I recall attending first the old school then later moving to a new school built on the other side of the village. Culcheth seemed a wonderfully safe environment – we walked or cycled to school.
I can recall the name of only one teacher Mr Pownall, nicknamed “Paddy” though I do not think there was an Irish connection. I probably have him to thank for a long term interest in woodwork and model making.
Class mates whose names I have been able to coax out from amongst the grey cells are Harold Hindmarsh, Peter Parfitt, Christopher Savage, Jack Brabbin, Roy Leatherbarrow John Johnson, Elaine Parker, Hazel Brown and Gillian Unsworth.
Are any of them still around the village?
Other distant memories are of putting pennies on the railway line, and watching the blacksmith at the forge. It was at the smithy we bought Ever Ready torch batteries. There was also the abolition of rationing for sweets so pocket money could be spent at Unsworth’s shop.
octadave

Postby Janet H » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:47 pm

Yes it is a very good site,Octadave.
I discovered it about a year and a half ago.
You obviously have more favourable memories of EJ Pownhall than I have.
I broke a jar containing tadpoles when opening a window and he made me try to clear up the mess with izal toilet paper!
Mrs Bonser was possibly still there in 1955 and also maybe Miss Eyres and Mrs Spiddy (formerly Miss Jones)
Janet H

Previous

Return to Memory Lane