Culcheth in the 40s and 50s

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Culcheth in the 40s and 50s

Postby Janet H » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:15 pm

I moved to Culcheth from Oxford in 1946 when I was six years old and my father went to work for the UKAEA in Risley.
We lived at Mee Brow (the flat tops).
We could have travelled to school by bus (a penny each way) but chose to save our twopence to buy an ice lolly from Janet Clare's shop on the way home.
In those days the juniors were housed at the front of the school and the seniors at the back.
Our teachers were Mrs Preston (headmistress) ,Miss Bridge,Miss Jones,Miss Eyres and Mrs Bonser.Mr Pownall later joined the school.
I had a wonderful childhood.We played out all the time in the road (very few cars)
We rode our bikes everywhere.Kevin Salt who lived opposite to me and was a year older than I am taught me to ride when I was seven.
Thank you Kevin.
I still ride most days (down the road to get the newspaper).I now live in Twickenham.
Each day Bob Royal would come in his ice cream van (ice cream cornets were threepence.)
In 1951 life got even better because we moved to Little London where not only was there central heating but we also had a refrigerator!
There were two grocers shops in Culcheth-Benny Weir's and May Cleworth's.
There is so much I remember about my childhood.
I jotted some notes down a few years ago about it.
I also had to write a thesis about Culcheth when I was at college in 1960.
I still have that (Hand written)
Janet Haines(nee Bolton)
Janet H

Re: Culcheth in the 40s and 50s

Postby barney2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 am

Janet H wrote:I moved to Culcheth from Oxford in 1946 when I was six years old and my father went to work for the UKAEA in Risley.
We lived at Mee Brow (the flat tops).
We could have travelled to school by bus (a penny each way) but chose to save our twopence to buy an ice lolly from Janet Clare's shop on the way home.
In those days the juniors were housed at the front of the school and the seniors at the back.
Our teachers were Mrs Preston (headmistress) ,Miss Bridge,Miss Jones,Miss Eyres and Mrs Bonser.Mr Pownall later joined the school.
I had a wonderful childhood.We played out all the time in the road (very few cars)
We rode our bikes everywhere.Kevin Salt who lived opposite to me and was a year older than I am taught me to ride when I was seven.
Thank you Kevin.
I still ride most days (down the road to get the newspaper).I now live in Twickenham.
Each day Bob Royal would come in his ice cream van (ice cream cornets were threepence.)
In 1951 life got even better because we moved to Little London where not only was there central heating but we also had a refrigerator!
There were two grocers shops in Culcheth-Benny Weir's and May Cleworth's.
There is so much I remember about my childhood.
I jotted some notes down a few years ago about it.
I also had to write a thesis about Culcheth when I was at college in 1960.
I still have that (Hand written)
Janet Haines(nee Bolton)

You and i have had the same childhood,in fact i think we lived next door at Eastcheap on Little London,also we lived just down the road from Kevin Salt on Mee Brow,but i think i am a bit older than you happy days.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Janet H » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:35 pm

Mrs Barney,
I think you must be Barbara who had lovely black hair and who gave me some children 's magazines when I was in hospital briefly when I was about eight and who lent me an Elvis Presley record about seven years later!

Yes ,we lived at Farringdon on Little London.
Janet H

Postby barney2 » Fri Dec 06, 2013 1:51 pm

Janet H wrote:Mrs Barney,
I think you must be Barbara who had lovely black hair and who gave me some children 's magazines when I was in hospital briefly when I was about eight and who lent me an Elvis Presley record about seven years later!

Yes ,we lived at Farringdon on Little London.

You have a very good memory,the black hair is now silver,it seems such a long time ago.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Janet H » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:59 pm

I have just been browsing and came across a photograph of Culcheth Carnival in 1953.

Local lass ,you have some great photos.

I was a Girl Guide then and we each had to dress up as a Guide from another Country and sit on a lorry.
I had a photo once of me dressed in a khaki dress and big hat sitting with my legs dangling over the side of the lorry.
No health and safety worries in those days.
I can only remember one Carnival in Culcheth where we went round the area in a procession though when I was about ten I was the attendant to the Rose Queen (1951 possibly )and I have a photo somewhere of another girl and me holding her train.Maybe it was something to do with The Festival of Britain.
We got to ride in a carriage and we ended up at Culcheth School.
We were told that it was going to be opened by a famous Radio Personality but nobody knew him.
I remember Croft Carnival happening every year.
Janet H

Postby Local lass » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:12 pm

A friend of mine kindly gave me that photo, she's the one with the curly hair sitting on the float. The couple standing in the background with the pram are my mum and dad.
Local lass

Postby southworthdt5 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:14 am

Local lass, Jan 29th,
Could you post the photo ? (and any others)
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:33 am

southworthdt5 wrote:Local lass, Jan 29th,
Could you post the photo ? (and any others)

Which photo do you mean southworth?
Local lass

Postby southworthdt5 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:50 am

Local lass,
Please look at my post on Glebelands/Little London.
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:23 pm

img089.jpg
Janet H kindly sent me some photos to put on here. Maybe some of you might know the people on here(Mrs Barney) The Girl Guides camping trip in the 50s There is also another photo taken in the parish hall but the file is too big to upload, sorry.
Local lass

Postby Janet H » Wed Mar 19, 2014 4:26 pm

In 1953 ,there was only one road -Warrington and one street- Shaw, in Culcheth.
Obviously the main thoroughfares were "Lanes"
Although I haven't lived in the village for more than 50 years,I know that there are now some more "roads".
I may be wrong but I don't think there are any more "streets".
How sad.

I wonder why that word went out of fashion?
"Close "seems to have taken over.
I can't remember any of those 50 years ago.
Janet H

Postby mujac » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Janet H mentioned a while back that there were only to roads or streets in Culcheth "back then" and I recall that the village was so quiet, that we used to play football on Warrington Rd, across from Janet Bonthron's little shop, which was directly across from our house. When the occasional vehicle came along, we just moved to the side and let it pass, then got on with the game!
mujac

Postby JohnB » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:07 pm

Just found this site, was planning a weekend of nostalgia looking around the area. Lived in prefabs and later the flats (Jermyn), in the 50's. Dad worked at Risley UKAEA. . Played all over, ran free...the "black path" alongside the railway the wooden bridge to the fields beyond. Will post again after my trip. Shopped at the co-op and Ben Weir. Remember Reg, mobile greengrocer, used an old converted single decker bus?
JohnB

Postby Janet H » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:44 pm

John,I discovered this site about 14months ago.
I can guarantee that you will have hours of pleasure from it especially from "Memory Lane"
I have never heard of the Jermyn flats.
Please enlighten me.
Janet.
Janet H

Postby Beechboy » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:39 pm

Like Janet H I to can't recall any flats called Jermyn,Little London Hall was the main residential place during the war period,I know there were some houses at Risley on the Warrington Road as some of my school mates lived there(flat roof type like Churchill Ave)so if John B could tell us where it would be of great interest .
Hope he enjoyed his return to Culcheth and could let us know how it went and having just discovered the Culcheth Net I hope he gets as much pleasure as myself and all of my other E Mail friends.
Beechboy

Postby JohnB » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi
Little London was a former wartime services base. the flats were the former barrack blocks modified. They were all named after streets in London, hence Jermyn etc. Before that we were in a prefab, Clayton Avenue. Little London had central heating from a central boiler house, there were large insulated pipes approx 10 feet above ground level to distribute the hot water. Us kids walked and played up on the pipes.
Had a good weekend exploring the area again, walked along the "linear Park" spent hours as a child watching trains on that track, from the bridge, no longer there, on the path towards the newchurch direction, now steps there into the fields beyond. I got the last train on that line to Wigan and back.
Culcheth has a nice feel to it, seems very self contained, not much you can't get there. the Parish Hall had Dance nights on Tuesdays in late 60's , the DJ was into Northern Soul, it was bang on the trend and great for such a small place. Good memories
JohnB

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:00 pm

Hi JohnB,
As I have mentioned in previous posts on Memory Lane, I was brought up in Wigshaw Lane and watched Little London being built. Never in my recollection was it ever a military site. Originally, the site accommodated workers from the ROF at Risley. After this, it became a teacher training college, and later was used by the UKAEA and known as Culcheth Laboratories. In the early days, one of my Aunts was Matron in the sick bay which I think was in Bardsy block.
Hope you enjoyed your nostalgia trip. I haven't been up there for many years now so I am very much out of touch with recent goings on.
southworthdt5

Postby Beechboy » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:53 pm

Hi John B lITTLE lONDON hALL
I can confirm all the things that Southworthd5 as told you [,as he said it was built for the civilian workers at Risley as far as i know,it was never a military site,once established the local people were allowed to use and enjoy the facilities such as the cinema and dancing,we had many happy hours playing on the site whilst it was being built.there was just one old watchman on duty who would run us off .
Beechboy

Postby southworthdt5 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:58 am

beechboy has just reminded me about the watchman and playing on the site of Little London. There was a narrow gauge railway with side tipping trucsk that we used to shunt along. We had a name for it but I can't bring it to mind at the moment.
southworthdt5

Postby Beechboy » Mon Apr 20, 2015 2:25 pm

Glad I reminded you (Southworthdt5) about playing on the Little London hall site when it was being built but had forgotten the single gauge rail track ,it was the same when they were building Newchurch Hall ,we would release a small bogy waggon and let it roll down a small incline,we would take it in turns to keep an eye out for the watchman,we would push it back up the incline and start all over again,we never did any damage and always left it in its correct place,that's if the watchman didn't run us off,happy memories.
Beechboy

Next

Return to Memory Lane