NEWCHURCH HOSPITAL

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

NEWCHURCH HOSPITAL

Postby Josephine June » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:23 pm

Dose anyone remember, or know where Newchurch Hospital is/was situated.
Josephine June

Re: NEWCHURCH HOSPITAL

Postby Sara » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:29 pm

I believe it is where the Doeford Close estate now stands
Sara

Postby Jelly Baby » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:22 pm

That is correct. If you go onto Doeford Close, some of the big semi-detached houses as you go in are original buildings left over from the hospital.
Jelly Baby

Postby Local lass » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:38 pm

Look on Google maps at Culcheth and make your way to Twiss Green Lane around the area of Leatherbarrow Farm.
Local lass

Postby Josephine June » Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:09 pm

Thank you all of those for taking the time to reply to my query re Newchurch Hospital
Josephine June

Postby Purps2 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:01 am

Found this & thought you might like -

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Salford/
Purps2

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:28 pm

In my younger days, the 40's it was known as the Cottage Homes (see the post above) and I used to deliver newspapers there.
southworthdt5

Postby ringo » Wed May 22, 2013 11:11 am

Purps2 wrote:Found this & thought you might like -

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Salford/

thanks for posting this link- it was really interesting
ringo

Postby Beechboy » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:55 pm

In early 1939 my Father was the engineer at Culcheth cottage homes,I do believe it belong ed to the Salford City Council,he was transferred from Hope Hospital Salford,at that period it was a home for slightly retarded young ladies,but before that it was a home where children were fostered in small family groups,each family had there own house with foster guardians.I know this as one of my best mates was from the home and when the home changed he was brought to live in the village to live with the people who were his foster guardians at the Cottage Homes.
Incidentally my Fathers stay was quite short at the Home as he was moved to more essential work when the war started and for a short while before we all moved to the village he stayed at Mrs Harveys house which was facing the main gate of the Home in Twiss Green Lane.
Beechboy

Postby Beechboy » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm

Just found the the old and new pictures of the cottage homes I can still recognize the buildings that are still there,in my previous letter I told you my Father was the engineer at the homes for a short time after being transferred from Hope Hospital ,as a small child my brother and I (red baron) made many visits to the home and holds a special place in my Culcheth days ,at the beginning of the war they held dances there for the local people and any armed forces in the area and they were starting to get many ,the dance floor was over the swimming pool and it use to worry me if the floor gave way they would all end up in the pool ,but it never did.It was nice to see the old and new pictures of Hope Hospital in Salford ,it is now called The Salford Royal University Hospital. Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby jeannie54 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:06 pm

My gran and granddad Beckett lived on Twiss Green Lane right opposite the Cottage Homes so I remember them well. When he retired from the railway, Granddad worked in the lodge of the hospital near the lane to Adamson's farm. I have some very happy childhood memories; watching the milking at the farm, walking down the lane beside the golf links, walking into the village, collecting the turkey from the farm at Christmas. We used to get to Culcheth by train from Bickershaw station before Dr Benching struck and then we'd get the X85 bus.
jeannie54

Postby Beechboy » Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Jeannie 54,
Just read your letter about your grandad that use to visit in Twiss Green Lane,his surname struck a cord with me as one of my classmates in school lived opposite the Cottage Homes,is name was Gordon Becket,could he be any relation to you? would love to know,if I remember correctly the row of houses Gordon lived in had a type of corrugated roof which was unusual at the time.
Hope you read this letter so you can let me know, Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby jeannie54 » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:48 pm

Gordon Beckett was my uncle, brother to Dorothy. Sadly both passed away in 2001. Don't remember the roof. If someone asked me to remember the layout of the house I could go into detail. I do remember the yard led out to a wider yard that belonged to the house across the back. They lived next door to their auntie Alice and uncle Ern and cousins Dennis, Joan and Alan. Lots of happy childhood memories attached to Culcheth.
jeannie54

Postby Beechboy » Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:50 pm

Jeannie54
Thank you for replying to my asking about Gordon and sorry to hear that he his no longer with us,we were good mates at school but never saw much of one of each after school ,as we lived not very close,one at Twiss Green Lane and myself at Beech Avenue.
If you have read any of my letters you will have seen my Father was the engineer at the Cottage Homes as they were called then from 1938 till the outbreak of the war but was directed to more essential war work.
Thank you once again and best wishes.
Beechboy

Return to Memory Lane