Beech Avenue.

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Beech Avenue.

Postby Beechboy » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:59 am

Hi Denis.
Good to hear from you again,I can understand your feelings about Culcheth of today and comparing the Culcheth of our time, if you have read most of e-mails you will see think the same as you,not being back in over sixty years l can understand how much it as changed, the school as gone along with all the shops and even some of the pubs as well,and the Bricklayers Arms as lost its name, ( very sad )but glad when you tell me That our little corner.of our old Culcheth is unchanged.
I know it sounds strange but l agree with you but we had an exciting time in the forties especially the boys with all activities going on all around us,not so good for our parents though.
I do hope you read the e-mails as they are so infomativ and they have given me great pleasure over these last few years,l never thought l would be able to talk about this period in my life again with being so far away but the Culcheth net as been brilliant.
All for now so keep in touch with any news especially when you drive round Beech Avenue, Norman, ( Beechboy ).
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:39 am

Hi Norman,
Lovely to hear from you again. I'm not sure if I'm able to attach photos via Culcheth.net but I'll have a try. They may be of interest.
Cheers
Denis
P.S. I think I may have added a photo of my old house. Not sure if it will come through to you.
Attachments
13 Beech Avenue.jpg
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:48 pm

Hi Denis.
Thought l would let you Know your photo was a great success,the house looks just as l remember it except much brighter as they were pebbledashed in our time and of course new windows,if you look down the footpath you can see Graham Ashtons house and what could be Jimmy Suttons and Kenny Buttons homes on Warrington road,our house was diagonally across the green from yours in the left hand corner next to Ronny Taylor's.
Can you remember the air raid shelters being built on the green?never had to use them but hours of fun playing in them and on the top as well.
It must feel strange going up Withington Avenue to see the old school gone and houses built on the fields we played in,they must back on to Culcheth Hall drive,really can't picture it
That's it for now so hope you have had a happy Easter.Norman, (Beechboy).
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Norman,
Glad the photo came through. And I used to think we had massive gardens at the front where I put up my Bukta tent. It looks about the size of a stamp now. We had a shelter in the back garden and I remember being carried down in a blanket. And it was the night when bombs dropped in Hob Hey Lane I think. Do you remember one day at school when we were rushed into a brick-built shelter and had to put on those silly gasmasks? I can't remember the shelters you mentioned.
I'll have a trip to our old village later this week and take some pictures for transmission to you.
Enjoy Easter Monday!
Denis
denisr

Postby Keith53 » Wed May 24, 2017 6:53 pm

Hi Folks, Newbie here. To be honest, I belong down the road a bit as my people came originally from Woolston and Martinscroft - but that is another story. I am the family genealogist, and I am trying to get a contact email or address for Kenneth Sutton (mujac). From what I can gather his father was the brother of my uncle's father, William Henry Sutton (also a golfer). I want to find out further family information while Ken is around to speak to. So grateful if someone can either let me know his contact information, or contact him and ask him to write me at:
keithellison@hotmail.com. Many thanks.
Keith53

Postby denisr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:06 pm

Hi Norman,
I paid a trip to Culcheth last week and took a few snaps. I'll send a couple at a time. The first one shows me just turning into Beech Avenue ( no cars parked up in our time). The second I leave to you. To me Beech Avenue has changed very little. Please excuse the bad photography: I also think the shots are in the wrong order!!
Cheers
Denis
Attachments
IMG_1931.JPG
IMG_1930.JPG
denisr

Postby denisr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:43 pm

Hi Norman,
A further couple of Beech Avenue pictures.

Denis
Attachments
IMG_1932.JPG
IMG_1933.JPG
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:33 pm

Hi Denis,
The photos have come over great,and your right it looks just the same as it was in our day ( 70 plus years ago ),of course no cars then,of the two corner shots one of them is 25 and the other is next to the Andrew's sister's house,you can just see your house on the one turning into Beech Avenue.
It was good to hear from you again ,I've just passed my 85 th birthday and with his birthday being very close to mine I always remember Graham Ashtons it's this Friday. 30th June.
That's it for now and thanks once again, Norman, ( Beechboy ).
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi Norman,
Good to hear from you.
I'm attaching another batch of shots. They could be out of order. A is at the corner of Worthington Avenue looking towards Janet's shop which unfortunately has been swallowed up! B is looking up Culcheth Hall Drive and the trees we climbed up - houses hidden by our trees. C Unknown young resident of Beech Avenue - the name escapes me!!!
Best Wishes
Denis
Attachments
C.jpg
B.JPG
A.JPG
denisr

Postby denisr » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:07 pm

Hi Norman,
My mistake in the pictures. Withington Avenue not Worthington!!
Cheers
Denis
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:49 pm

Hello Denis.
Now who could that little boy in flared trouser be?,could you tell me if he still has as much hair now,
You would never believe you would see traffic lights at the junction of Withington Avenue with Warrington Road,and the photo of you turning into Beech Avenue you would have seen our school behind you but obviously it's a completely different building now,what I can see of it looks quite ugly,the Culcheth Hall drive still looks much the same with the trees still there,hopefully some of the rhododendron bushes are still there, as the small lodge at the beginning of the drive survived.
You mentioned all the cars in the Avenue,in our time I could only remember two cars parked there ,Mr Hope ( Malcolm & Donaldson dad )drove one for a government department,the other one was when you moved away a district nurse moved into your house and she required one for her job,the daft things you remember her car registration number started with the letters FNF,pronounced funf a character in ITMA the Tommy Handley very popular wartime radio show.
That's it for now ,thanks again for the photos ,Norman (Beechboy ).
Beechboy

Postby Beechboy » Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:33 pm

Hello Denis.
I thought I would let you know that I made a mistake when I replied to your last photographs, you explained that you were turning into Beech Avenue so I was looking towards your house and the trees at the the far end are the Culcheth Hall drive trees,we were lucky as they ran right behind our house ( 25 ).
With our old school gone l would like to see a picture of the new school, so perhaps on one of your trips back you could oblige,thanks.
Hope you are keeping well ,that's it for now Norman, ( Beechboy )
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:45 am

Hi Norman,
Thanks for your Monday message. I'll certainly take some shots of the new school complex which has shifted from the corner of Withington Avenue up towards the turning of Lions Den Lane. When you referred to gatehouses, the one at the bottom of Culcheth Hall Drive has gone. Also the tiny round house opposite the corner of Holcroft Lane, where Billy Grimshaw the farmer's son used to live.
Regarding the black and white photo the hair has changed from blond to white and a lot thinner. But I still wear the same type of trousers!!!
Best Wishes,
Denis
denisr

Postby denisr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:09 pm

C1 - The old school gates.JPG
Hi Norman,
Another selection of photos!! I've labelled them but just in case - C1 looking at old school gates from end of Beech Ave; C2 Looking up Withington Ave from gates; C3 New Primary - shot taken from Warrinton Rd; C4and 5 Culcheth High.
All the new school buildings have been built away from the old buildings - the area is now grassed over and entrances are now off Warrington Road up towards Lions Den Lane
Best Wishes
Denis
Attachments
C3 New Primary School from Warrington RD.JPG
C2 - Looking up Withington from our school gates.JPG
denisr

Postby denisr » Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Norman,
I'm sending the two remaining shots - both of Culcheth High School
Cheers
Denis
Attachments
C5 - High School.JPG
C4 - Culcheth High.JPG
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Hi Denis.
Good to hear from you again,and thanks for the new photos,the new school buildings are a far cry from our school buildings,I always thought our swas good to look at considering the time it was built and being located in such a small village at the time.the photo you have taken at the end of Beech Avenue I can still picture the school gates where in the winter we would kick a ball about as there was a very dim street light there when they lifted the restriction on street lights during the war,but the most recognisable one is the view looking up Withington Avenue with the houses on the left but no playing fields on the right,very sad.
Have told Ken to have a look so will let you what he says.
Thanks once again all good memories, Norman ( Beechboy )..
Beechboy

Previous

Return to Memory Lane