Beech Avenue.

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Beech Avenue.

Postby Beechboy » Tue Sep 08, 2015 1:22 pm

Hi Daiasybanks.
Thank you for letting me know about Gertrude Andrews your mother,you must have read my very first letter on the subject of Beech Avenue where there were no boys of my age only three girls your mother being one of them,how they teased me in those early days,three girls and one boy I stood no chance,she lived on the same side of the Avenue as me and we always good friends,being the same age we went right through our school years together so it was very sad for me to hear she had passed away.
You said she had stayed in Culcheth all her life so was your Father a local lad?would like to know.
Thanks once again and will always have nice memories of your Mother, Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby daisybanks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:08 am

Hi Beechboy. In reply to your last post. Mum Moved to Kaye Avenue and Married her next door neighbour in 1951, sadly my dad passed away in 1961. You May remember him he was Alan Heywood. He had a brother Jackie and sister Kathleen. Thanks for your reply .
daisybanks

Postby daisybanks » Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:17 am

Hi Beech boy Got it wrong again Mum still lived in Beech Ave when she married and moved to Warrington Road opposite the New Inn. Her parents and brother William later moved to Kaye Ave next to my dad's parents. WE then moved to Poplar Ave in 1955. Where she spent most of her life.
daisybanks

Postby Beechboy » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:30 pm

Hi daisybanks.
Sorry for the delay in replying to your E mail,yes I do recall your Father and him living on Warrinton Road just on the bend opposite the New Inn,my brother Fred ( red baron ) also remembers him,I think the cottage was in a slight dip off the road ,we were never mates as such and if you went beyond Hampson Avenue you were out of you territory but we knew each other.
When your mother lived in Beech Avenue her next door neighbor were the Maines family who had a son Dougie who was three or four years older than your Mother and I,as for the other addresses Kaye Avenue and Poplar Drive they must have been built after I left the area or my memory is letting me down.
Are you still living in Culcheth? as your name ( daisybanks ) reminds me of when we first moved to Culcheth we lived in Common Lane opposite the mill .
Thank you again for making contact with me and good luck.Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby Beechboy » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:03 am

Hi everybody.
Thought I would like to wish you all the very best for the coming New year and I am still alive and kicking,although I did suffer an heart attack in late October and with the wonderful care from my local hospital and the two lady paramedics that came so fast and diagnosed my problem right away I am now hopefully on the mend.
I do miss the Culcheth.net especially the Memory lane,It's as given me so much pleasure these last two or three years but do understand when things start to slow down and subjects get exhausted,but for one old Culcheth lad lets try and keep it going,my older brother ( red baron ) who as lived jn Germany many years, we always finish up talking about our Culcheth upbringing and the same with my old mate Ken Sutton ( mujac ).
Once again best wishes to you all for 2016.Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:53 pm

Hi Norman,
My name is Denis Rawlinson (Denny when I lived in Culcheth). I lived at 12 Beech Avenue from 1937 when I was 2 until moving to Leigh in 1944. I recognise many of the names you mention, though most of them were older than myself. My dad Tom, was a lorry driver and worked at Albert Lewis's along with Wilf Ogden who was the father of Brian, Keith and I think Trevor who I'm sure played for Man City at one time. My parent were very friendly with Charlie Lewis and his wife who lived on Warrington Road and I was a particular pal of Cyril. I will never forget that awful day when Cyril was taken away in a car with his real mother. Mr & Mrs Lewis had brought up Cyril from him being a baby at the Children's home (Culcheth Cotage Homes?) in Kenyon where they both worked. Apparently baby Cyril was not able to be looked after by the staff and the Lewis's volunteered to look after him and for all intents and purposes he their son until that terrible afternoon when he was taken away to live in Salford. I think about Cyril often. Across the path lived Graham Ashton whose dad was a bus driver with South Lancs. Graham and myself when we were about four used to go through the school gates at the end of Beech Avenue and get in lines until we were hooked out by either Miss Bridge or Mrs Preston and told to go home. I remember the Andrews girls who lived at the other side of the square. In fact I still have a photo of myself and Ursula both eating oranges at my back door. Do you remember Ronnie Taylor? My mum used to warn me about playing with Ronnie and I well remember going with him into the "Drive" with a box of matches. We got into the middle of one of the huge rhododenrums and by coincidence young Taylor had a box of matches. Piles of dry leaves soon caught fire and of course we hopped it only to return later to join the crowd watching the Fire Brigade put out the blaze. In fact that was the very day Cyril was taken away. Next door to us lived Mr and Mrs Andrew and Kenny their son. I think Mr Andrew was blind and I remember Kenny being in the navy during the war. I also remember Kenny Clark who I met up with years after I moved to Leigh at Leigh Grammar. I loved Culcheth County Primary School and was in Miss Bridge's class in the infants. I don't remember the war starting but recall the sirens going off and being put in a blanket and taken to the Anderson shelter at the bottom of the garden. emember bombs dropping and going to Hob Hey Lane where a farm had been hit.
One of my friends at school was Billy Grimshaw whose uncle was Roger. I'm fairly certain that Billy once lived in the round lodge opposite Lions Den Lane. It's long since gone.
Our playground was Culcheth Hall Drive, the home of Robin Hood of course and the summers we spent there.
Denis Rawlinson
denisr

Postby denisr » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:59 pm

Sorry Norman,
I hit the wrong Key. I lived at number 13 ( at the side of the path).
Denis Rawlinson
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:47 pm

Hi Denis.
Of course l remember you well and you and Cyril being good friends, when he moved To Salford it must been so upsetting for him and Mr and Mrs Lewis but as my family came from Salford l managed to visit him a couple of times and surprisingly he seemed quite happy,l can tell you more later now we have made contact, we have a lot to talk about,so keep in touch,the Culcheth line as been good to me and all people who have corresponded with me especially with me living in the South of England,
So hope to hear from you again, Norman.
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:07 am

Hello Norman,
Many thanks for your reply and lovely to hear from you. After leaving Culcheth and moving to a strange place called Leigh, with factory chimneys belching smoke and miners coming off shift and waiting at bus stops, I felt as though I was in a foreign land! And the lads at my new primary school actually wore clogs!! I then moved from Leigh to Haydock, then back to Leigh where I went to Leigh Grammar and met up with some of my old Culcheth pals.
I now live in Over Hulton near Bolton now but still pass through Culcheth often, sometimes diverting via Beech Avenue which has hardly changed. When I look back, even during the war, what a glorious childhood I had - green fields, trees, and of course our playground, Culcheth Hall Drive..
Best Wishes
Denis
denisr

Postby mujac » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:38 am

Hi Denis,
Enjoyed reading your comments. I hadn't looked at the website in a while, but was told about your post by Nosh Walmsley (Beechboy). I lived at 390 Warrington Road, next door to John Bailey and the Morts, and 2 doors down from Jimmy Sutton.
I emigrated to Canada in 1957, 3 years after John and wound up meeting up with him again, as we both settled in Hamilton, Ontario. By a stroke of immense good fortune and the perseverance of Nosh's daughter, I reconnected with Nosh about 4 years ago and now exchange regular emails, often about the relative fortunes of our favourite football teams, namely Man City & United!
I shocked the bejesus out of him 3 years ago, by making a surprise trip to England, to help him and Clara celebrate their 60th anniversary. Spent 10 great days with him and his family and it was like old times. Mind you, his memory is a lot better than mine, but then, he's 6 months younger than me!
Like you, I've got a real kick out of reading about all the names from my childhood and it really was a wonderful place to grow up. My wife & I have been binge watching the ITV TV series "Scott & Bailey", set in Manchester and it's been a real giggle, hearing the Lancashire accent again and typical phrases and words, I no longer hear.

Ken Sutton (Mujac)
mujac

Postby mujac » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:59 am

Hi,

Just been reading some of the older posts about Bobby Tawse and it reminded me of the occasion when I was cycling home from the Leigh Golf Club and came to the stop sign by Benny Weir's. I stopped by balancing, but, when I got round the corner, by the bus stop, out jumped Bobby Tawse, who gave me a ticket, because he claimed you had to put a foot on the ground, to be legally stopped! I can only imagine that a bobby's job in Culcheth, back then, was a bit of a snoozefest and he must have roused from his slumbers to issue, probably, his first ticket of the year!
Ken.
mujac

Postby denisr » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:31 pm

Hi Ken,
Nice to hear from you. I remember you well although you were a touch older than myself. I remember my dad telling me that your dad, Norman, was a former professional footballer who played for Tranmere Rovers (?) before becoming a golf professional.
I started grammar school life at Ashton in Makerfield Grammar ( we were living in Haydock at the time) but in 1949 we moved to Leigh and I started at LGS. A tongue in cheek question,Ken, does the name Jem Nelson ring a bell??!!!
Kind regards
Denis
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:53 pm

Hi Denis,
It was good to hear from you again and that Ken had been in touch with you,I hope you have read a lot of the letters especially those on Beech Avenue and Culcheth in 1930 and 1940,I am sure you will enjoy reading them with all the names and places you will remember.Ken mentioned his visit to see me in 2013,I had mentioned to my daughter Gillian over a number of years l wonder how my old mate was getting on, we had last met up in 1956 when I was on holiday in Torquay and paid him a visit as he had moved to Exeter where his Dad was the pro and Ken his assistant,a short time after he emigrated to Canada and we lost touch,so unknown to me decided she would have ago of finding him,with a lot hard work and patience she succeeded,so we started writing to each other,but what a shock in May 2013 after speaking to him on skype he walked into the room,I had been set up,you can see all this on U Tube as my son in law was filming it unknown to me,the U Tube website 2nd page of Beech ave letters.
Enjoy your reading and will be in touch soon .Norman,( Nosh ).
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:00 pm

Hi Norman,
Thank you for your email. Since discovering and using the Culcheth. net website, memories of those lovely days keep flooding back. I realise that we grew up in the village during the war but I can't remember us actually being affected by it, apart from HMS Aerial arriving, and transforming the fields at the back of Janet's shop. And of course the day the Yanks came to Culcheth Hall. I suppose toffee rationing affected us mostly and when words got around the rush to Janet's for goodies!
I lived at number 13, Graham Ashton on the other side of the path, the Andrews girls in the far right corner from my house, Ronnie Taylor in the far left of the square. Where did you live? And can you remember where others of our age lived?
Lovely to hear from you again
Denis
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:12 am

Hi Denis,
Sorry for not replying to your last e-mail,you asked me where in Beech Avenue I lived,it was number 25 diagonally across the square from your house and our next door neighbors were the Taylor's,Ronnies family,I remember most of the people in the Avenue just one or two that have slipped my mind,perhaps we can go through them again later.
Still getting my regular e-mail from Ken ,have you seen the reunion on U Tube when he came over to visit us,what a surprise it was for me all done by my daughter Gillian .
We'll Denis l hope you read this e-mail and keep in touch,Norman, (Beechboy )?
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:56 pm

Hi Norman,
Thank you for your e-mail. The people in Beech Avenue I remember are Mr and Mrs Thompson next door to me and their son Kenny who went into the Navy. Kenny Clarke(?) who I met up with five years later at Leigh Grammar. I think he worked for Adam Lythgoe when he left school. I remember the Andrews girls who lived in the right hand corner of the square from me. I still have a photo of myself and one of the Andrews girls when we were about 4 or 5. Ronnie Taylor of course!! Now I'm struggling. Graham Ashton lived in the house at the other side of the path - number 11. Other lads on Warrington Road - Cyril Lewis, the Ogdens, and Kenny Sutton. Billy Grimshaw I also remember from school.
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:09 pm

Testing to see if this works as I've been having problems sending messages. Beechboy
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:58 am

Receiving OK
Denis R
denisr

Postby Beechboy » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:01 pm

Hi Denis.
Hopefully l am back in business and you received trial message,so down to your last E-mail asking our neighbours in Beech Avenue,so here goes,l do remember most of them.
Starting at the school end on your side, Brockley's, Hope's, ?, Salts, Cleworths, Ashtons, footpath, Rawlinson, Thompson's, Andrew's, Maine's, Bartons, Hills, Walmsley, Taylor's, Gaskells, Gregsons, Skeltons, Lythgows, Lowe's, Andrew's, Clarke's, Gibson's, Fred,Clarke's, ?, Olga Dean's.
That's it. So it helps you with your recollections.
Belated best wishes for 2017.Norman, ( Beechboy )
Beechboy

Postby denisr » Sun Apr 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Hi Norman,

Thanks for the list of names - I can now put names to houses. I remember a lad called Kenny Andrews who I met up with again when I went to Leigh Grammar, On leaving school he went to work at Adam Lythgoe's admin place in Hob Hey Lane.
I passed through Culcheth two weeks ago and again couldn't resist driving round Beech Avenue. It just hasn't changed - the the grass centre bit is exactly the same and to me the houses are exactly as they were.
I then went back to Withington Avenue - both the old secondary and primary schools have gone and everything has shifted towards Lions Den Lane. Huge double storied buildings form the new high school. There's also a nursery school and a primary on the site. I drove up Withington and once I'd passed the old houses I remember, all the fields to the left where we played and as far as Culcheth Hall Farm are covered in houses.
On the occasions I pass through Culcheth it's changed so very much and to me is now a very unattractive dormitory town of Warrington. I certainly wouldn't like to live there. My Culcheth has long since vanished but I still have my happy memories. When I think about it , even through the war, I just loved it.
A belated New Year to you!!
Denis
denisr

PreviousNext

Return to Memory Lane