Beech Avenue.

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Beech Avenue.

Postby Local lass » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:01 am

I love reading all about your memories of the village, you should put them in a book so we have a record of what life was like back in the thirties and onwards. :)
Local lass

Postby Beechboy » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Reading on the Childhood memory line,Mrs Preston and Miss Bridges have been mentioned,Mrs Preston was my headmistress from day one and Miss bridges was my very first teacher,Mrs Preston lived on Warrington Road in a house which I think must still there,at the time they were very modern built just before the war,if they are still there it was a detached house quite posh just passed Churchill avenue(Flat top houses),Miss Bridges lived quite a way down Holdcroft Lane on the family farm,In all the time I was pupil I never once saw Mrs Preston smile or laugh very stern all the time,although I do remember her son was a pilot in the RAF during the war so that would have been a concern for her to bear I do believe he came through it OK.
The only time Mrs P ever spoke to me was to give me a telling off for minor misdemeanour but on one occasion I think I deserved it,this particular day it was our sports day but unfortunately for me my mother had to take me to the eye clinic in Cadishead which in those days was not an easy to get to, a train to Irlam and then quite a long walk from the station,I can remember asking my mother to try and get back for the afternoon so I could enjoy the sports,this was not an easy thing to do as my mother was not a very well lady but we made it,when I got back to school I was told that the headmistress wanted to see me in her office so I knew I was in trouble,what it was a few days earlier a few of us had found a way to climb on to the low flat roof of the school,we did no damage it we just sat there looking down and thought it was an adventure,but we were seen and reported and after rushing back from the eye clinic we had to sit in a classroom writing a hundred lines about how naughty we had been,Kenny Sutton(mujac) and Jimmy Sutton (constable2) were some of the others.all we could hear was every one enjoying themselves As for the other teachers in the junior school I remember well but another day.
Beechboy

Postby Local lass » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Miss Bridge was my teacher when I first started school which was the little Methodist school down Hob Hey Lane. She seemed to be an elderly lady when I was there, I was only five. I remember my sister and her friend coming to see me at playtime and they gave me some chocolate, not knowing that I wasn't allowed to eat in the lesson I was sent outside and given a telling off. I never liked school from that day. :)
Local lass

Postby Beechboy » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:12 pm

When you left Miss Bridges class you were all moved up to Miss Parker's class,she was a really nice lady but if you did not do as you were told she could be quite severe but always very fair,she lived in Hob Hey Lane and I believe her father was a coal merchant who delivered coal to our house but did not know this till much later,I can remember one day very vividly a number of the boys including me had not been behaving and she got quite angry with us but the playtime bell sounded so we all got out of the classroom thinking we had got away with it,we went to the toilet (boys) but unknown to us she had followed us in and while we were all stood there in full flow she gave us a real ear bashing,but the real punishment was the embarrassment we all felt with a lady teacher being in the boys toilet and being in the position we were .
The last teacher we we had was Mrs Norcross,she was was the one that prepared you for the senior school again a very nice lady,she had to work very hard with some of us,she also had to give extra tuition to those pupils who had been selected to sit the entrance exam to the Grammar school,needless to say as you have probably guessed I was not one of them,but pleased to tell you my friend Ken Sutton (mujac) was selected and made it to Leigh GS as was the Red baron three years earlier,I do regret it now but and even with my parents encouragement all I wanted to do was sport so that is why I never got the chance to sit the entrance exam,the annoying part for me was that Ken was good at both classwork and sport and he never stopped telling me.
Mrs Norcross;s punishment for the boys never the girls was to strike your knuckles with two rulers and it certainly stung ,but that was mild punishment we use get when we went up to the senior school .Another story.
Beechboy

Postby hopey1 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:45 pm

Hi Norman sorry to be so long in replying to your post. Your memory is still working well, I had forgotten about the car with the gas boiler on the back. My Dad was a Chauffer For a civil engineer based in Grappenhall near Warrington. He was in charge of three cars,the big car was either a Hudson or a Buick, a Wolsey and a sit up and beg tin lizzie Ford.

Yes you are right we lived next to the Brockleys and mujac lived on Warrington Road their garden backed on to ours. Was'nt Mr Cooper the caretaker before Mr Brockley?

You mentioned my Brother Donald, unfortunately he died in 2008, he was in Scotland with his Daughter at the time and suffered a stroke.
I have spoken to Jimmy Sutton a couple times and we are hoping to arrange a meeting soon. I have seen the video of your meeting with mujac he looked exactly as I remember him except he was blonde not white. He certainley gave you a suprise.

I have been reading some of your other posts and memories from school as you mentioned the senior scool was something else, Mr Smith the Headmaster was handy with the back of his hand and a thump from his stump could leave quite a bruise.
I had better end this for now ,I do get carried away. Regards Hopey1
hopey1

Postby Beechboy » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:51 pm

Hi Malcom,(hopey1)
Sorry to hear that Donald is no longer with us,as someone said before at times it is no fun growing old ,yes you were right about Mr Cooper he was the caretaker of the school when Mr Brockley was put on war work which I think was at Risley,If you remember Mr Cooper was quite elderly and was brought in so younger people could do more essential war work,he lived in Withington Ave,the first house on the corner of Beech Ave .
Yes the punishment at the senior school was much tougher than the juniors and you mentioned how he would hit you with is stump,that sure did hurt,and if you were really in trouble you would be sent to is study and get six of the best across the palms of your hands with is cane,but the one I remember the most was when he would grab your hair(we had some then)and push you against the wall and as he told you off he would repeatedly bang your head against the wall ,can you imagine that happening today.he would also tell me to take is bike home to Twiss Green Lane if he did not require it to get home that day ,never would you or would you mind,but to get home quicker I would cut across Sammy Southern's fields ,Mr Smith was sure a law unto himself.
Have you seen the photo of Ben Weirs shop in the old Photo Line,I have mentioned how PC Tawse would stand on the corner to make sure you stopped at the junction,he seemed to get everywhere .
That's all for now and give Jimmy (nanna) my regards If you see him or speak to him,ask him as he found the Andrew sisters yet? Norman (beechboy).
Beechboy

Postby southworthdt5 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:24 am

I remember Jim Tawes and Benny Weir's shop. ...Where do I find the photo post that you mention ?
southworthdt5

Postby Beechboy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello all.
It's ages since we had any new E mails on the Net and I am getting quite depressed ,I know it can be quite hard to find new topics so don't let it drift away .
I am sure most of you know what pleasure it as given me and all the other Culcheth exiles,so put me out of my misery.I am sure I speak for all of them ,Hope the message gets seen,I have put it on the Beech Avenue as that was my starting topic,thanks in anticipation.best wishes to you all Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby Janet H » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:50 am

I know how you feel Beechboy.I feel the same.
I think one of the problems is that most people of our age who have moved away from the area,do not know of the existance of "Culcheth.net".
The other major point is that a great many elderly people will not use the internet.
It is my contention that there would be fewer people suffering from dementia if more older people would stop being Luddites and learn to use a computer.

I am very greatful to people like "Local Lass" (younger than we are!) who still live in the area and Southworth ,who have posted photographs of Culcheth and people who were around 50 years ago.

Perhaps things will get better as Autumn approaches.
I hope so.
Janet H

Postby Janet H » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:07 am

Just to show that I haven't lost it altogether,I realised that I had misspelt grateful as soon as I had submitted the email.
Janet H

Postby Beechboy » Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:15 pm

JanetH.
Made my day when I saw your reply,I thought it would be not read for ages,I really do miss it's like missing a friend,I agree with you if more tried to use the computer it would keep them active,as most will have guessed I am pretty new on this contraption so don't check on my English and spelling to to much,after all as most of you know I left Culcheth Modern School as it was known then nearly seventy years ago aged fourteen,(happy days).but I am still learning. My pal Ken Sutton (mujac) and my brother Fred (red baron) were amongst the chosen few that stayed at school (Leigh Grammar)till they were the ripe old age of sixteen.
Thanks again and fingers crossed we might get more back on line,Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby Local lass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:13 pm

Benny Weirs.jpg
Benny Weirs.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 3919 times
Hi Beechboy, I'm sure I posted a photo of Benny Weirs shop on here but I can't find it. I'll see if I can find it in my photos' and post it again. Bennys, is over the junction on this photo which was taken in front of the Harrow Inn.
Local lass

Postby Janet H » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:32 pm

Local Lass,
Am I right in thinking that the shop in the left of your photograph used to be an ironmonger's or chandler's?
On Warrington Road ,almost opposite The New Inn was a newsagent called Lance.
He sold really expensive sweets (which you can still buy) called "Hall's Menthol and Eucalyptus."
They were a shilling a quarter!
I think the police station was next door to the pub.
When I lived in Culcheth the policeman was Bobby Tours.(name possibly incorrectly spelt.)
My mother was once cycling down the cinder path to Warrington Road when she saw him.
She called out that she couldn't stop to talk because she had no brakes on her bike.
Janet H

Postby Sparkyman » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:44 pm

The policemans name was spelt 'Tawse'.
I went to school with his granddaughter.
Sparkyman

Postby Local lass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi Janet, yes the shop is the diy shop and still is, I'm not sure if Jacksons had it then or Mannerings (spelling?) I like the tale of your mum on her bike and bobby Tawes, it reminds me of my friends mum when she was cycling to Newchurch Hospital for work, it was early morning not very light and bobby Tawes cycled up behind her, he asked her did she know that she had no rear light on her bike? She replied "yes and I don't have one on the front either" :lol:
Local lass

Postby Local lass » Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:47 pm

Sorry Sparky got my spelling wrong.
Local lass

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 4:55 pm

Hi Local lass and all you Culcheth exiles,
I have noticed that the memory lane forum has been very quiet lately so it's good to see that it has not died altogether. There is another local interest feature on facebook.......the history of Croft.......which I follow because I was born there ( hence the southworth) and went to croft school until july 1944.
Just tried to add a photo but was told that my file was invalid.................merde !!
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:04 pm

img155.jpg
Hi southworthdt5, That's a shame regarding your photo. I have a postcard of Croft Catholic church with the school, I'll see if I can upload it.
Local lass

Postby Beechboy » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:10 pm

Thanks for the pictures of the junction of Warrington road Common Lane and Church Lane which as you say you have shown before but good to see again ,(local lass) The other shop on the photo was never a shop in all my time in the village but it had shop style windows but was used as as house,
I have mentioned Bobby Tawse a few times and had many a ear bashing from him and then off my Dad when he told him of my misdemeanours,his house (cop shop)was half way up Warrington Road between Ben Wiers shop and the New Inn.not next to the Inn.

The picture of the Croft RC Church reminded me that Pansy Unsworth the baker andconfectioner from Common Lane was the church organist there,we never ventured much into Croft ,if you went beyond Culcheth Station or Glaziers lane you felt a long way from home
Nice to be back on the Culcheth net again,like being with old friends again.
Beechboy

Postby daisybanks » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:13 am

Hi |In reply to Beech Avenue> My mum was Gertrude Andrews sadly she passed away in 1999. Also Someone wanted to know about the Andrews sisters of which my mum was one. Sadly they have all passed away. My mum stayed in Culcheth all her life. Elizabeth moved to Liverpool and Louisa moved around the country and was at one time stewardess of the British Legion when it was near what is now Culcheth medical centre.
daisybanks

PreviousNext

Return to Memory Lane