Beech Avenue.

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Beech Avenue.

Postby Beechboy » Sun May 05, 2013 1:30 pm

In all the names and places that have been mentioned no one seems to have said anything about the Smithy in Church Lane that was almost opposite Leah Ashstons chip shop,another friend of ours Dad was the Blacksmith there and spent many hours watching him make anything out of iron ,a true craftsman,but we enjoyed seeing the horses being re-shod,he never seemed to mind all of us watching him .The friend I mentioned was Gerry Unsworth a real good mate who lived further up Church Lane in a terraced cottage which I saw on Google,would love to know if the Smithy is still there.Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby barney2 » Sun May 05, 2013 6:33 pm

Its gone Beechboy, it is now a garage Smithy Garage and i think Gerry Unsworth died last year.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Beechboy » Tue May 07, 2013 1:08 pm

Barney 2.
Thank you for your quick reply to to my question about the blacksmiths in Church Lane and was not surprised for you to tell me it no longer there ,and very sad to hear of another school mate and pal had passed on,the last time I saw Gerry it must have nearly sixty years ago ,I was visiting Culcheth from Salford and was waiting for the bus at Glazebury Station (Chat Moss Hotel When Gerry came along from Leigh with Bobby Clarke and saved me my bus fare ,to me he was a real good mate.Beechboy.
Beechboy

Postby barney2 » Tue May 07, 2013 6:46 pm

Sadly Bobby Clarke has also died,not good getting old.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Beechboy » Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:02 pm

Anybody that have been reading my letters about my young days in Culcheth and mentioning all my pals Kenny Sutton (mujac) was my closest and with Ken now living in Canada we lost touch in the late fifties,but by some brilliant detective work by my daughter Gillian she found him two or three years ago and as it was my wife and I diamond wedding on the coronation weekend it been organised for Ken to speak to me on skype so if anyone would like to see the outcome of this it was being recorded unknown to me and it is on Youtube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYBqap03CYg .at least you will be able to put a face to beecboy and mujac
Beechboy

Postby babe » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:05 pm

:D
babe

Postby southworthdt5 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:27 pm

Hi Norman, I seem to rember you when you lived opposite Daisy Bank mill. I believe that you were a school friend of one or both of my two older brothers who have both sadly passed on. Their names were Dennis (born 1927) and Ian (born 1930) Atherton. We lived in Wigshaw Lane at No 60. I am the youngster , Malcolm (born 1933)
southworthdt5

Postby Local lass » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:35 pm

What a lovely surprise. :o :D
Local lass

Postby southworthdt5 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:46 pm

I too remember Rubin Parker. In addition to his horse and cart deliveries, I seem to remember that he had a little wooden shop on small iron wheels like a chicken house.I also remember all the other shops that have been mentioned. Up our end of Wigshaw Lane we had Bill Pritchard the butcher. He had a daughter, Doreen who will be in her early 80's now.
southworthdt5

Postby Beechboy » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:32 pm

I certainly do remember Bill Prichards butchers shop at the approach to Culcheth station and Doreen Pritchard who was in my class at school or a year behind ,I recall at a morning assembly she was praised for reporting an object she had found in a nearside field as we had all been told to report such things in case they were some kind of German bomb,If she is in the Culcheth area it would be nice if she could recall it.
The Atherton family I do remember living in Wigshaw Lane on the right hand side just before Hob Hey Lane and almost facing Little London Hall
,in fact when I started work at fourteen years old I use to leave my old bike at there house and then get the train to Manchester,LNER use to charge ninepence a week to leave it at the station so it was big saving .
MR Atherton had a fire wood business at the time so let me know if my memory is serving me right,also did you play football for Culcheth Juniors at the same time as myself (beechboy) and mujac (k kenny Sutton) ? ,If you are you must have played in goal , let me know.
Beechboy

Postby Local lass » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:00 pm

Hi Gentlemen, can I correct you on the butchers' name? It was Arthur Pritchard unless he went by the name of Bill. I was born in the house next door to their shop and always remember my mum referring to him as Arthur. I see Doreen quite regularly and her son, they have the health food shop in Culcheth and we always have a reminice about how Culcheth used to be (although I am a good few years younger :wink: ) Do you remember Annie Potter? The Potter family lived the other end of the terrace.
Local lass

Postby Beechboy » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Local Lass.
Thanks for putting us right about our mistake on the name of the butcher,I did not know Mr Pritchard but knew of is shop near the station,I use to pass it when I was a milk boy at a farm on Glaziers Lane and of course when I started work I got the train to Manchester,you say you see Doreen quite often so if you can ask her if she recalls finding this object during the war as we were all told to look out for any unusual things that might be dangerous,
Thanks once again,glad you enjoyed my meeting up with mujac (ken Sutton).
Beechboy

Postby hopey1 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:43 pm

Hi Nosh wow! I thought all the old gang were long gone, i turn my back for a while, i get back on the net and find my childhood has resurfaced on line. I would love to get in touch with you all, i have tried before and found Lawrence Daintith, who came from croft. My Brother Don and I used to spend time with Jimmy [nana]Sutton and his brothers Gordon & Roy - I wonder if he remembers the band in his shed and our version of "In The Mood". We also used to play around with Brian & Kieth Ogden. How all the memories come flooding back. I hope you are keeping well and look forward to hearing from you and anyone else who remembers me .
Malcolm Hope [hopey ] :shock:
hopey1

Postby southworthdt5 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Further to the info about the shops at the bottom of Common Lane, Co-op,to Seddons butchers. After these was "Toshy" Evan's woodworking workshop and yard. After his retirement (or death) in the late war years (or just after) my father used the facilities for his firewood business which he started off in a disused chicken shed at Dick Mason's Brook House farm in Wigshaw Lane. In a small shed or garage at the ex "Toshy" Evans site father had a small Jowett saloon car which was in lovely condition and I never recall him using it. He had a larger Jowett saloon which he and the station master (? Mackness) converted to a flatbed pickup to deliver the firewood on. They later built a trailer for the Jowett to increase the carrying capacity. The raw material for the firewood was empty packing cases of all sizes which he bought by the ton from the USAAF Base at Burtonwood.
I don't know if this is the right place to post this memo but the subjects seem to mutate as our memories ramble on. I mean what's the connection with this and Beech Avenue ?.
Keep up the Memory Lane there are still a few of us out here who can still remember......
southworthdt5

Postby Maam a Lady » Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Hi Malcolm (hopey1), you mentioned Jimmy (nana) Sutton in your post. Jimmy is my Grandad's nephew. My Grandad was Cliff Sutton. I run the local toy and bookshop in Culcheth now located in the Old Telephone Exchange. Ring me at the shop on Saturday 01925 765187 and I will pass on Jimmy's phone number. I know he will be delighted to hear from you. If you look through some of the earlier posts you will see that both he and I have posted previously.
Best wishes, Naomi
Maam a Lady

Postby hopey1 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:15 pm

Hi southwold5 I remember the wood yard next to Seddons butchers, we often made up our own bundles of fire wood if they were behind with production. You mentioned Mr Mackness the station master, my Brother and I were friendly with his Son Niel and used to visit the house on the station approach. You and I must have known each other.
Hopey1
hopey1

Postby Beechboy » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Hi Hopey
It was great to see your letter to me ,when I first came on line and saw the name Hopey I thought I of you and Donald right away,I discussed it with my brother Fred (Red Baron) and we were right,hope you are both well,If you have read my letters on the net you will have seen I have talked about a lot of the things mentioned,shops,places and recollections ECT,It was sad to hear that some of our friends Ronnie Green ,Bobby Clarke and Gerry Unsworth are gone ,I have written to Jimmy Sutton (Nanna) and Naomi his niece is a wealth of local information and if you read my mail you will see she is still in touch with Elsie Ronnie's sister,
When you moved in to Beech Ave I can remember your Dad driving this car with a big contraption on the back of it so it did not need petrol to run it,it could have been gas cylinder,any way put me right if you can,you lived next door the Brockley's who if you recall Mr B was the school caretaker and funny that's was what I finished being when I moved South before retiring.
There is such a lot to talk about but you will have seen Ken Sutton (mujac) gave me a surprise visit last month when we celebrated our diamond wedding we keep in touch every week these last 3 or 4 years,try and see it on youtube under Culcheth Reunion,it was filmed unknown to me.
Thats all for but will talk about Toshy Evans later,hope to hear from you soon Nosh (Norman).
Beechboy

Postby Beechboy » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:05 pm

Hi all.
Toshy Evens name as been mentioned recently,when we moved to Culcheth our first home was in Common Lane right facing Daisy Bank mill,No 38 to be exact which I believe is no longer there,I can still remember going to his house with my Dad every Sunday to pay the rent,it's obvious he must have owned our cottage,and the lasting memory of these visits were all the cats he had and the aroma with them,there was an old car in his wood yard that I never saw it move I thought it was a Ford but could be wrong,also just before his yard a cobbler opened up a shoe repair business in a large shed but can't remember just when it was.but I do remember the Chugging noise the from the mills boiler exhaust it use to wake me up every morning ,happy memories.Norman (Nosh).
Beechboy

Postby southworthdt5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:24 am

Beechboy wrote:Hi Hopey
It was great to see your letter to me ,when I first came on line and saw the name Hopey I thought I of you and Donald right away,I discussed it with my brother Fred (Red Baron) and we were right,hope you are both well,If you have read my letters on the net you will have seen I have talked about a lot of the things mentioned,shops,places and recollections ECT,It was sad to hear that some of our friends Ronnie Green ,Bobby Clarke and Gerry Unsworth are gone ,I have written to Jimmy Sutton (Nanna) and Naomi his niece is a wealth of local information and if you read my mail you will see she is still in touch with Elsie Ronnie's sister,
When you moved in to Beech Ave I can remember your Dad driving this car with a big contraption on the back of it so it did not need petrol to run it,it could have been gas cylinder,any way put me right if you can,you lived next door the Brockley's who if you recall Mr B was the school caretaker and funny that's was what I finished being when I moved South before retiring.
There is such a lot to talk about but you will have seen Ken Sutton (mujac) gave me a surprise visit last month when we celebrated our diamond wedding we keep in touch every week these last 3 or 4 years,try and see it on youtube under Culcheth Reunion,it was filmed unknown to me.
Thats all for but will talk about Toshy Evans later,hope to hear from you soon Nosh (Norman).

I remember buses pulling a trailer with a producer gas plant to fuel the engine. Out of town ther were small heaps of anthracite by the side of the road where the bus could stop while the conductor shovelled on some more fuel to produce the gas.
Also, the Co-op laundry van used to come out to Culcheth from Leigh with a large canvas bag of mains coal gas on it's roof, again to fuel the engine. southworth dt5
southworthdt5

Postby southworthdt5 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:39 am

Local lass wrote:Hi Gentlemen, can I correct you on the butchers' name? It was Arthur Pritchard unless he went by the name of Bill. I was born in the house next door to their shop and always remember my mum referring to him as Arthur. I see Doreen quite regularly and her son, they have the health food shop in Culcheth and we always have a reminice about how Culcheth used to be (although I am a good few years younger :wink: ) Do you remember Annie Potter? The Potter family lived the other end of the terrace.

I was a friend of Annie Potter's older brother,Joe. We spend many happy hours together but started to lose touch when we went to separate senior schools. On leaving school, Joe worked at Baldwin's garage at Fearnhead. I remember going with him to buy his first motor bike. It was a prewar 250cc Panther which the seller assured us "Could catch pigeons."!. Later on he bought a brand new D.O.T. (Devoid of Trouble). The last I heard,many years ago he had emigrated.
I am the youngest (born 1933) of the three Atherton boys from Wigshaw Lane.
southworthdt5

PreviousNext

Return to Memory Lane