Local History

Share your memories and experiences of Culcheths past.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Re: Local History

Postby raven » Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:58 am

I deleted that one along with a few others yesterday.
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Postby Beechboy » Thu May 23, 2013 1:09 pm

As a young lad we always called Holdcroft Lane Lions Den Lane can any one give me a reason for this? I remember the field facing Peters Mill and next to the Raven Inn and it never was used for any crops at all as far as I recall, as youngsters we were told of soldiers being buried there,
Beechboy

Postby barney2 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:39 pm

Beechboy wrote:As a young lad we always called Holdcroft Lane Lions Den Lane can any one give me a reason for this? I remember the field facing Peters Mill and next to the Raven Inn and it never was used for any crops at all as far as I recall, as youngsters we were told of soldiers being buried there,

Remember exactly the same Beechboy but dont have an explanation,my grandma always called it Lions Den.
Mrs.Barney
barney2

Postby Purps2 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:48 pm

Complete stab in the dark this but -

Atherton Hall which was intended to be the new family seat. Built on a grand scale (at a cost then of GBP63,000) with its own lake and a fancy bridge guarded by stone lions, it was never fully completed as Richard died in 1726. This grand building was demolished in the 1820's although parts of it remain and are lived in to this day. There was a story that when the bells of Leigh Parish Church struck 12 o'clock on New Year's Eve, the lions used to dive off the bridge into the lake and some people gathered there to witness this!"

One of the houses had what I thought was a fine entrance portico which, on dismantling, was sold to Dr Sephton of Culcheth and it stands there today.

Could a stone lion or piece of been dumped around there?

http://www.nyt.co.uk/athertonhistory.htm

Probably way off mark, some one will pop up & say a lions den was there, thus named :lol:
Purps2

Postby Local lass » Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm

My dad always referred to it as Lions Den Lane, was it because the house was called Lions Den?
Local lass

Postby emcole » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:02 pm

Hi, going back to a thread of a few years ago about the local Yates family. I have just found out I'm related to a Sarah Ellen Yates who was born in Leigh, maybe Culcheth or Bedford, but I think there were quite a few Yates branches and I'm trying to work out which one she was in. I think she may have moved to Bolton then left for Chatham in Kent for some reason. But I'd love to locate her birth certificate. Think she was born in 1869 or 1871. Any more info around on the Yates families? thanks
emcole

Yates from Leigh/Culcheth

Postby emcole » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:51 am

Reviving any threads on the local Yates family. My great grandmother was Sarah Ellen Yates from Leigh/Bedford, her Dad perhaps Joshua which seems like an unusual name for the time. Apparently Sarah Ellen also had a brother called Joshua who emigrated to New Zealand and had twin girls. Does this ring any bells with anyone? Also, she used to talk a lot about an Uncle George who worked (maybe a big cheese) in a cotton mill. But she also used to talk a lot about Bolton so maybe there was a big branch of her family there too. Please shout if you might have any leads I could follow up.
emcole

Previous

Return to Memory Lane