Where are they?

Talk to other members about issues in Culcheth

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Where are they?

Postby Janet H » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:53 pm

As a pensioner,I realise that the majority of the population is younger than I am but even so I get the impression that only a very small number of my contemporaries contribute to your forums.
I may be wrong but if I am correct in my assumptions it might be for one of the following reasons.

1)Like me ,they don't live in the area and could be unaware that "Culcheth.net" exists.
2)They are enjoying retirement so much that they haven't got time to use the internet.
3)They are computer illiterate and are unwilling to try new technology.
4)Sadly they are no longer with us.

May I suggest if you have a parent who has not used a computer that you encourage him or her to do so?
I got my first computer just over five years ago and my Ipad less than a year ago.
I wouldn't be without either.
Janet H

Re: Where are they?

Postby raven » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:14 pm

Interesting post, would you like to have a stab at the age of some of the contributors? :)
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Postby Janet H » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:42 pm

Good idea but I might offend somebody.
You will have to give me time though to read some of the posts of whichever person I am to guess the age of.
At the beginning I know I got the sex of one person wrong!
Janet H

Postby Purps2 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:47 pm

I'm an oldie, at 38 years & female Janet, I think I'm around 70 in mind & you around about 25 :wink:

Agree so much about encouraging the older generation with using the Internet, for company & information resources although I know my Mum would love to take auctions off my Dads browsers .
Purps2

Postby raven » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:15 pm

Janet H wrote: I got the sex of one person wrong!

Getting the sex of a person wrong could lead to embarrassment and possibly a smack in the chops. :shock: :lol:
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Postby Janet H » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:37 am

I chuckled when I read your post,Purps.I still feel guilty when I sit in a seat on a bus or local train designated for "The Elderly"-and then I realise that they mean me!
Janet H

Postby southworthdt5 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:12 am

In answer to Janet H's query,
I have been on the South coast for over 50 years now, ( I am 80 ) so I can only contribute my recollections of the 20 years that I spent in Croft and Culcheth. I have bee aware of and contributed to Culcheth net for a year or two now and will continue to post when a topic appears which jogs my memory.
I am still waiting for someone to find a picture of Beech Mill which I remember from the bottom of Hob Hey Lane.
southworthdt5

Postby Janet H » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Southworth,
With reference to the challenge set by Raven ,I have to say that I am not doing too well.
I think I have identified 12 people who are entitled to bus passes and have contributed to the forums since I joined in December of last year but I don't think one of them was in my class when I was at Culcheth Primary School.
Most disappointing.
I have come up with a theory-----
The pensioners who now live in Culcheth are mostly "newcomers (" ie pre Lodge Drive ) and are therefore not as interested in the site as we are!
Janet H

Postby Janet H » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:30 pm

Sorry I meant post Lodge Drive.
Janet H

Postby lankyman » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:23 pm

I would think that a high percentage of posters on here, including myself, have passed well into the second half of their century :-)
What is, has been and will be again! BSG
lankyman

Postby MUMMYmad » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm

When my mother was 90 the doctors asked her how old she felt. She said 21, I told her I knew exactly what she meant. I myself am 17, my body doesn't agree with me, but I am not listening to it.
Madmum
MUMMYmad

Postby Janet H » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:06 am

I may be wrong,Lankyman,but I don't think you are eligible fora bus pass.
Janet H

Postby Janet H » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:59 pm

I know what you mean Madmum.
It is only when I look in the mirror and see my mum that I feel my age.
The secret is to have a sense of humour and associate with positive people.
If the elderly would learn to use the computer there would be fewer lonely old people around.
So.....Come on you Middleagers,suggest that your parents get themselves a computer if they haven't already got one ,instead of saving their money for you.
Or better still since apparently Culcheth is full of affluent people and Mothering Sunday is coming up,go out and buy your mum a computer.She deserves it.
Janet H

Return to Culcheth General Chat