Forum Closure - UPDATE

Announcements on changes and amendments at CulchethVilage forums.

Moderators: Purps2, raven, Sparkyman, Riggs, Chopper

Forum Closure - UPDATE

Postby Phantom » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:17 am

Its with great regret that I am typing this but after 10yrs of running this forum its has come time to bring it to an end as i am now unable to commit to it 100%. Over the years I have kept it running using my own funds which totals over £1500 in hosting, server fees etc it has also taken a huge chunk of my personal time in development, patching, upgrading etc. During this time I have made many friends on this forum and i know people have used it to track down old i friends and discuses issues around the village, during this time I have also had to fight hackers, trolls, a denial of service attack and been threatened with legal action multiple times and its this side of things that I can no longer continue to deal with. I have a family now who I could be spending my time with and that I want to make the most of.

I am still going to keep the main Culcheth.net website going for information about the village and I have nearly finished development of a new version which will pull in info from all sources on the net news sites, twitter etc I will continue to keep this forum running till end of the month and maybe someone will offer to take it over which if they do i will help with transferring it over to them and any development that is required.

I would like to thank the mods on here who over the years have done a great job of keeping things going, couldn't have done it without you.

Sorry to everyone on here as I do feel like I am letting you all down but I have a lot going on.

Regards,

Phantom
Image Image

Any views expressed by members of the forum are their own and not that of the forum.
Phantom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Closure.

Postby Phantom » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:27 pm

Facebook group now deleted :(

I am speaking to my friend who develops the forum/website to see if we cant get this forum transferred over to someone else's hosting. Hoping so as we had a really cool theme nearly finished which would make using the forum and website on a phone or tablet really easy.

Will keep you all updated.
Image Image

Any views expressed by members of the forum are their own and not that of the forum.
Phantom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby lankyman » Mon Jun 16, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Phantom.
obviously this is very sad news, but I'd like to say a big thank you for your time and efforts over the past 10 years or so. I've only been a member since 2006 and joined when I moved into the village, since then I've found the forum to be a great source of information and general chat. yes we've (I've) had some controversial moments but it has been all part of the banter.

I hope you and your family have a great future, and to all those I've interacted with on here over the years, farewell and I hope you have good times ahead.

Lankyman (Bill).
What is, has been and will be again! BSG
lankyman

Postby John Boy » Mon Jun 16, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for running the forum over the years, sorry to see you go but all the best.
John Boy

Postby culchethleyther » Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:49 pm

Thanks Phantom for all your time and effort.

The service provided will be sadly missed.
culchethleyther

Postby raven » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:01 pm

Thanks Phantom for bringing conversations to the village, over the years I have enjoyed the discussion, the banter, the fun, the arguments, the fallings out and reconciliations. Good look, health and happiness to you and your family.

Regards
Neil
Support bacteria. They're the only culture some people have.
raven

Postby Scatterbrain » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:43 am

As a fairly "newbie" to the site, I would like to add my thanks too. The information I gained through the site was invaluable and I too have enjoyed many chuckles reading some of the posts! I appreciate how much hard work and commitment it has involved and wish you and your family all the best for the future. =D>
Scatterbrain

Re: Forum Closure. UPDATE!!

Postby Phantom » Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:54 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments and PM’s people have sent me regarding my decision to close the forum.

I have been putting the feelers out and believe I have come to a solution which will allow us to keep the forum going I am still working on putting the new site together which is nearly ready and along with that I will hopefully have the infrastructure in place to transfer the forum over to that and a contact has kindly offered to keep it running.

Again thank you for everyone’s support while I sorted this out.

Regards,

Phantom
Image Image

Phantom
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Forum Closure - UPDATE

Postby Chopper » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:50 pm

Great news Phantom. I hope you'll stick around too!
Chopper

Re: Forum Closure - UPDATE

Postby Local lass » Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:55 pm

Hi Phantom, I have really enjoyed this site having gained a lot of knowledge about the local history of the village from the ex-pats, without this site wouldn't have been possible. I hope you can keep it going as not everybody uses facebook or twitter. Thank you for your time and hard work. Jeni
Local lass

Return to Forum Announcements