Interesting Facts about Culcheth
Thomas Blood stayed in Culcheth and married Marie Holcroft, Captain Thomas Blood is the only person to steal the crown jewels.
Packhorses were used to transport goods and the men in charge of the packhorses would usually stop for and drink and sometimes stay over night in the Packhorse Inn.
The Packhorse Pub is the oldest pub in Culcheth.
Twiss Green is the highest point in Culcheth at a height of 107 feet above sea level.
High Lodge (the white house) on Common Lane is the last remaining Lodge in Culcheth, originally there were three.
Electricity was first installed as recently as 1928.
Sports played by the residents in Culcheth's past included Bull Fighting, Cock Fighting, Ground Racing and the sport of rat catching with dogs were common in the village.
There is rumoured to be a secret tunnel down Culcheth Hall Drive which was supposed to lead from a secluded spot on the avenue to an opening behind the Great Hall fireplace. This tunnel was used to be a route for the priest to proceed unnoticed to take services in the family chapel.
Kenyon junction is the first railway junction in the world!!
Where the cherry tree is now, used to be a pub called the Brick Layers arms.
The cherry tree was built in 1964.
Over 100 years ago the Brick Layers arms was a grocers shop, and was called the Brick Layers arms because owners up until 1929 were of the Merrick family, the first of whom obtained a licence for the premises and was by trade a brick layer.
There are three wells in culcheth, one near the church and two near the Harrow.
Opposite the Harrow, where the library is, there was once a pub called the 'Farmers Arms.'
| »Beech Avenue.
by: denisr On September 27, 2016, 12:07 pm
»Calling all crafters
by: Harvey706 On September 15, 2016, 10:37 am
»Culcheth Community Meeting - 21 September 2016
by: Morty On September 12, 2016, 5:07 pm
»Unsworths of culcheth
by: hju31 On July 9, 2016, 11:44 am
»Free Information Talk 14th June 2016
by: JohnG On May 20, 2016, 3:26 pm
»GP services in Culcheth
by: stemaw On May 15, 2016, 6:12 pm
»Folk At The Foresters
by: jonbud On February 23, 2016, 2:53 pm
»Moving to Culcheth
by: stemaw On January 7, 2016, 8:04 pm
»feedback for new culcheth website
by: stemaw On January 7, 2016, 7:53 pm
»Write for Rights 2015
by: Sue_Rigby On November 20, 2015, 11:16 am